Here Comes the Sun!
If you like sun and sand, warm nights without a jacket, or a refreshing margarita, just the promise of brighter days may have you smiling. Summer will be here before we know it! And we know you’ll be dreaming up ways to have the perfect Summer, so don’t let it sneak up on you this year.
Here are 4 tips that are key to enjoying your best Summer in the sun, and being prepared before it’s here!
You’re heading home after a relaxing day at the beach of reading and soaking in the sun with a cold drink only to discover that oh-so-familiar sting when your bare legs make contact with your hot car seat. If you’re a big fan of Summer, you probably enjoy the warmth that only Summer brings. But without proper care, you can easily find yourself with the sting of the dreaded sunburn.
If you don’t feel the need for extra protection from the sun’s rays, we would love to give a couple reasons why now may be more important than ever to consider taking an extra step for your skin.
The Earth’s ozone layer, or “Earth’s sunscreen”, is thinning due to chemical compounds released from industrial machinery and other human activities. This decreases the barrier we have against UV radiation- a large factor in skin cancer, cataracts and even immune system damage. This means the need for an additional barrier has become increasingly important. Ozone depletion | Facts, Effects, & Solutions | Britannica
Make sunglasses, a hat if your scalp is prone to burning, and sunscreen your partners in crime this Summer!
A favorite brand of ours- Coola. With a focus on skin health, Coola’s suncare products are all cruelty-free, 70%+ organic, and use plant cell actives to nourish the skin. They believe our skin, the earth, and our choices are all connected. In the form of sprays, cream, sticks and even mists for application over facial makeup or shimmery glows for under, they’ve got you covered. They also offer a sunless tan, which is becoming more popular than ever! Who doesn’t love a sun-kissed glow free from risk of skin damage? About Us – COOLA
Keep Those Energy Levels High!
Let’s start with the most basic, and quite arguably most important. Hydrate, hydrate, HYDRATE! Water makes up roughly 60% of the human body, so let’s be good to ourselves and keep that liquid gold flowing!
Did you know that more than half the time you find yourself hungry, you are actually thirsty? Sometimes it can be hard to decipher what the body is actually asking for. In addition, when you find yourself thirsty, you are already dehydrated! So how do we stay on top of our water game?
- Start drinking a glass of water 15 minutes before eating a meal. This will help form a habit of hydrating throughout the day by establishing specific times to do so.
- Carry around a reusable water bottle. It may be a given, but you are more likely to drink water when you are carrying it with you!
- Use a soda-stream if you prefer carbonated beverages.
- Increase your glass size! Start with something small that feels manageable, and work your way up.
- If you still feel you need a little extra help catching up, try adding LIQUIDI.V. to your water! Their packets are loaded with electrolytes and great flavor. Lemon Lime Hydration Multiplier (liquid-iv.com)
Of course, we can’t forget nutrients. Summer often means more activities which increases the need to rejuvenate your body after a busy day of fun!
Here are some foods that are great for recovery, energy, and your skin!
- Leafy greens and berries- Vitamin C stimulates collagen and promotes healing
- Nuts and seeds- contains Magnesium, which regulates body function, and Vitamin E which is essential for immune health Healing Foods: 10 Foods That Help Your Body Recover (healthline.com)
- Watermelon- Lycopene acts as a natural sunblock
- Cauliflower- Urocanic acid absorbs UV radiation
- Bananas- high in antioxidants, potassium, and tryptophan which boosts mood and energy 6 Foods That’ll Repair and Protect Your Skin from Sun Damage (healthline.com)
When you feel good, you look great. The best confidence boost is from the inside out!
Our favorite part- making those Summer plans! With so many things to do and so much fun to have, Summer can easily feel like it’s here and gone way too fast. That’s why it’s a great idea to start planning and scheduling what you want to do before Summer arrives.
- Book things early! Whether it’s securing a spot to a hot new restaurant or bar, buying tickets early for a concert, or booking a trip. Remember, Summer is a busy season so don’t wait too long and risk missing out!
- Lock your friends down for time together. Summer can be packed with plans, so coordinating is important whether it’s for a getaway or simply a little smoothie date.
- If you’re a lover of sun, try to fit in all your favorite outdoor activities! This may be the best time all year, and possibly only, for that hike you love, a relaxing picnic, or a rafting trip.
- Be a tourist in your own town. You may be surprised how many local things you have never tried right where you live! A quick internet search for “best things to do in my area” could provide some fun new activities.
Plan your Summer ‘Fits
90’s fashion has made a bold return and carries many of the looks we are currently seeing thrive. And with this comes the inspiration to accessorize. Whether you love or hate putting together outfits, grabbing some Summer basics and building from there is a great and easy place to start.
Dig up your solid tank tops, jean shorts, mini skirts and anything with lace trim because they are back on trend! Flower embroidery and neutral or pastel colors offer a soft and flirty Summer vibe. Relaxed cargo pants and clean, simple patterns are the new bold! From there, the additions of mini hand bags, layered jewelry, half-up hair do’s, and our favorite, thigh-highs, flourish.
Start with a simple look you’re comfortable in, add until you’re feeling cute, and don’t forget to slip on your favorite sheer, breathable Kix’ies to give your look that final pop!